Re: [TCML] 12"/16" Large Coil Diameter Selection

 Amir,

My thoughts about the issue is that the aspect ratio is not too
important provided it's within an acceptable range.  One of the
key issues is the height of the secondary.  If it's too short,
you may get breakdown along the coil form or sparks may
hit the ground too often.  When I design a coil, I like to consider
first the input power, then consider the spark length, then work
backwards to determine toroid size, coil size, etc.

I consider the limit to spark length to be based more on toroid
size (and power input of course), rather than on secondary size
(provided the secondary doesn't break down of course).  If the
secondary is too small, then the inductance will be low (using
reasonable wire thickness), and the coil will be less efficient
for the reason discussed below.

For example I think a 12" x 50" secondary can give basically
the same spark length as a 16" x 50" secondary if both coils
use the same size toroid.  It's true the narrower secondary
may result in a little less efficient Tesla coil.  It would probably
not be the secondary which is less efficient but the primary,
since the primary surge impedance will be lower, resulting
in higher spark gap losses proportionally.  So the narrow
secondary coil may need to be driven with a little more power
for a given spark length, but should still be able to produce
the same spark length because the toroid is the same (large).

Another consideration is whether you will drive the pole pig to
double its rated power.  Even break rate is a consideration.
A high break-rate coil can possibly tolerate a shorter coil form,
and smaller toroid for a given spark length.  However a lower
break rate is probably more "efficient".  Sparks may be brighter
at a higher break rate however.  Sparks may form coalesced
tendrils at times at higher break rates.  This is less likely
at lower break rates.

If you have plenty of space to run and store your coil, then
you may want to keep the full 60" height, and use the 16" diameter
form.  Such a coil can easily produce 20 foot sparks using a large
enough (65" diameter) toroid.  Such a spark length would require
about 20kVA which your transformer can provide for intermittent use.
I'm assuming a break rate of around 320 breaks per second.

Cheers,
John