Re: [TCML] Musical coils

I would like to point out it doesn't have to be DC, you would just be
very limited in your note range to higher break rates if you used AC
or risk killing your transformer...  I asked this very question some
time ago, I plan on building just such a triggered gap.  My design as
it is right now (other projects prevent me from starting this for the
moment) I'll take a two inch diameter glass tube with a heavy wall
thickness, two rings will mount inside, these will be my spark gap
electrodes, air will flow through the whole thing.  To trigger the gap
I will form corona on the inside of the tube via an audio triggered
flyback transformer, hooked to aluminum tape on the outside of the
tube.  Assuming airflow is sufficient to cool the tube, but not too
strong to prevent ignition, it should work great, can't say the coil
itself will perform well, but it should trigger when I want it to and
make noise...  The huge advantage to this over pure raw solid state is
cost, joules per dollar, it will be a long time before solid state can
come close to this power without costing a years salary...

Scott Bogard.