Re: [TCML] Secondary Repair Question

> As for your May 7th post on your blog, I recommend sanding the coating down a bit, before recoating. If you do this, you'll sand through (most of) the air bubbles - which you described as pinholes - and allow the new coating to penetrate them.

What I did was I scraped and chipped away at any of the 'bad' spots with a sharp knife. Same thing really, just a bit more docile and tedious.

> When it comes to the topload, I know elevating it can *sometimes* help with breakout, but, in your case, I recommend at least removing your spacer for a while, for two and a half reasons:
> 1 - The elevating support is black. Black likely contains at least traces of conductive material.
>
> 2 - The elevation of the topload makes it no longer useful for shielding the top turns of the secondary from corona discharge, which makes you lose a great deal of powah. (Please forgive my making a mockery of certain words; I know, I know, teh interwebz is srs bizniz and stuff)
>
> 2.5 - The fact that you're not shielding the top turns also makes the voltage gradient that much sharper, which means that you're more likely to end up with racing arcs.

That was the first thing I did after reading the first reply to my post, I hacked off the spacer with a hack saw... Must have done some pretty poor math before deciding to glue that coupler in-between.....

> As for your January 17th post...you lucky, little... I wish my family would give me Christmas presents which pertain to my interests, rather than crappy 2MP digital camcorders that cost $20 and aren't worth $5... But, I try to remain thankful. :)

;P
Lol, never take anything for granted, and I'm not just comparing my fortune to yours, but yours to an even less fortunate individual's. Like you said, gotta remain thankful!

> Secondary size - 3.5" by 14" *might not* be large enough for this kind of power...

I was afraid of that... Oh well, just makes an upgrade that much easier! Only got to up the ante on the secondary/topload and retune for bigger sparks! (right?)

> Anyway, I don't know what of this seems 'worth it' to you, but I'm certain that most would help. For example, I've made a 2" diameter coil and coated it with one coat of minwax fast-drying clear-gloss polyurethane varnish, and I've made another 2" coil and gave it four coats. The one with four coats could stand being in the middle of my primary with a 12/30 LTR circuit at 120V in, while the other couldn't stand even 30V in (with adjusted capacitor size!).

That's definitive enough for me, I'll give it a shot!

> P.S. Do you mind skipping formalities? We're both teenagers, I imagine, so why not treat each other as equals, but have fun doing so?

Might take a little adjusting to, I was just getting so used to the levels of maturity around here... Oh well, never can avoid those rebellious youngsters... :P

P.S: How did you apply the varnish? Classic brush? That fluffy-rolly thing? Spray on?
[Everybody] Regardless, what would work best? (Assuming you could find something to spray on the Dolph's)

Thanks [it doesn't matter what you say, I'm just a very appreciative person! ;)]

--
Brandon H.
teslacoilers.blogspot.com