Re: [TCML] spark models

> I think there is a huge influence between the RF envelope and the spark
> growth.  In the idealized coupled resonator, the secondary voltage rises on
> each half cycle, but I'm theorizing that this doesn't actually occur when
> there is a growing spark.  That is, instead of the peak voltage rising on
> each half cycle, the energy goes into charging a bigger and bigger spark
> (and being dissipated in the channel too.. although I'm not sure how much
> energy it really takes to heat a tube of air 1cm in diameter and a meter
> long to 7000K.
>
> Just ballparking..
> Air is nitrogen so 28g/22.4 liters =
> 1cm x 1 meter is about 100 cc so around 0.125g total mass.
>
> Specific heat is probably something around 1kJ/kgK..
>
> so, 0.125E-3*7E3 = about  1 kJ
>

> Make the channel a few mm in diameter, and we're down in the 100s of Joules
> range.
>
> Let's say a 1 meter spark takes a 500W tesla coil, minimum (Freau formula)
> which is going to store about 4 Joules/bang.
>
> This doesn't quite reconcile...

I run a similar system to Steve's QCW.  The difference is that my coil uses
a Valve (833C) for the switch in the final stage.  I call this system the
Solid State Valve coil (SSVC). <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/5531054068 >  The solid state comes
from the fact that I use a solid state power supply. <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/5724070567 >  The power supply is a
high voltage arbitrary waveform generator that allows me to drive the B+
with a ramp waveform.

I can say that the amount of energy consumed per spark is quite high.  When
I run my SSVC at about 2-3 PPS making 48" sparks (15ms ramp time) it uses
about 550W or so.  If I bump the PPS rate down to ~1 PPS I can make 64"
sparks with about the same power consumption.