[TCML] new coil vids; just built cage of death

Hi all,

    I have uploaded some more short videos of my coil runs from the last few weekends.  Also I burned my ballast up two weeks ago and had to build another.  The good thing is that the old one was far from adequate, but usable.  The new one has much thinner laminations and thicker wire.  Also the core area is 2.8 times bigger than the old one.
I think the old one was well into saturation even at the start of a run as the coil seems to run much more consistently now.

    I have also been playing with topload height and pri/sec coupling.  I noticed that when you raise the topload the primary tuning becomes more critical as the higher I raised it the pri. inductance had to be reduced to keep the coil from breaking out from the top turn down the sec. (not to the pri or strike rail)  I know that raising it  (the top)  lowers the res. freq.   My question is doesn't that mean the pri needs more inductance to lower its freq. as well?  I tried 3 different tops changing their height and the effect was the same.  I think I will take video of the effect and post it this weekend.  The height varied from 3 inches from top sec. turn to 9 inches and each increase in height meant a decrease of inductance in pri.  ( i.e. fewer turns)  almost a whole turn difference.  At any rate my topload still isn't large enough both in minor and major diameter.  I will have to do something about that.

    I also just completed a rudimentary cage of death today.  I will be climbing inside it tommorrow evening.  It should be an electrifying experience.  I will post video of the run afterward.  Should anyone like to see the vids they are posted on youtube under my user acct Jason Kerlin.  I hope this message finds the list doing well.

just cant get enough coiling
Jason Kerlin