[TCML] Tuning SSTC to avoid losing oscillation when I try and draw discharge

I have sitting in front of me a lovingly wound Tesla coil adapted from Steve Ward's MicroSSTC plans, so young it hasn't even blown its first HEXFET.

Sadly it's a bit shy. When I approach the breakout point with a metal object held in my hand, the breakout retreats back into the comfort of the metal from which it sprang (i.e. it stops).

Thoughts on how to best give it the courage to keep oscillating and making high voltage despite the menacing approach of a big pair of pliers?

This doesn't happen if I try and draw an arc with a small piece of metal mounted to an insulating rod.