Re: [TCML] Caps

Watts is everything for spark length, you can get the same spark length out
of any voltage current combo as long as it has an efficient gap to
compensate (lower voltage makes gap construction more tricky in my opinion,
up to a point...)  The trick is to balance the cap around the voltage and
current, more current means you need more capacitance to keep breakratesin
check, more voltage means you need less.  Again you can pick any cap value
you like, but as others have said high breakrates are difficult to do for
static gaps, so bigger caps (LTR) is usually recommended.  As a point of
curiosity, what have you actually purchased at this point?  I ask because
you are designing a bit backwards (a mistake I always made) you should pick
first of all, your spark length, or short of that get the most economical
power supply you can and go from there.  I like to do things this way now,
as a smaller coil with big sparks is seriously impressive compared to a big
coil with small sparks.  If Tesla map says you can get 22 inch sparks out
of your transformer, in theory you can get away with 2 inch by 9 inch
secondary wound with 36 awg wire.  Now obviously that would be obnoxious,
but this relationship scales very nicely for larger coils, I was working on
a chart that would give sparks 2.5* the winding length for optimum sized
coils for given wire gages, but I didn't finish it yet...  At any rate,
once you have a power supply, THEN nail down what cap you are using, and
THEN build an appropriate spark gap.  The coils come last, as they are
actually less critical (coil size has little to do with spark length,
provided it is big enough there are not excessive losses, and it does not
arc over.)  For reference, Richard hull reportedly made 10 feet sparks out
of a 13 inch long coil (granted it was a magnifier, but still, that is kind
of ridiculous!)  So yeah, just some food for thought, might want to focus
on sourcing a suitable transformer before doing anything else.  Than again,
everyone has their own method, that is just what I sort of frell into of
late, and it seems to work well.

Scott Bogard.