Re: [TCML] secondary coil form

I've had good success with PVC ducting at sizes of 6", 8" and 12". I've been getting it from McMasterCarr - where it has been fairly costy. I could probably have found some locally at one of the salvage yards in San Jose for less. But ordering it from McMaster has been very reliable. I've generally had to cut it down to size myself, which is easily accomplished with a router and a jig.

The PVC is gray. All the ducts I have acquired were made by the Harvel company.

What I usually do is sand the surface first, being careful to remove the manufacturers markings as it has been suggested here on TCML that those markings may in some way be conductive.

After sanding, I coat the duct with Glyptal Red taking care to keep the finish smooth. This provides some "grip" for the winding process and tends to lock the secondary turns in place as long as there is tension applied. It also looks cooler.

Some pics of my process are available here. This is a starting point <http://www.flickr.com/photos/iceowl/5948339414/in/photostream/>, you can scan through to see the development.

Cheers,
Joe