From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:49:21 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Run coil in mall

On 2/14/12 2:50 AM, Jim wrote:
> Thanks every for the good replies.
>
> John, what is the difference between a RF ground and earth ground?

Rf ground is "the cold end of the secondary" and doesn't necessarily
need to be earth ground "the ground you're standing on".

>From a spark standpoint, there's no need for the secondary of the TC to
be connected to physical earth: consider a jacob's ladder on a NST..
plenty of sparks, no physical earth connection.

>From a "tuning" standpoint, the screen under the coil (or earth) serves
as "the other plate" for the topload capacitance.

There's several reasons why you want some connection between the "bottom
of the coil" and "the earth you stand on".

One reason is safety.. if someone is going to touch that ground screen,
then you want it at "earth" potential. Likewise, if it's not at "earth"
potential, charge can accumulate and you could get a spark from screen
to ground, possibly somewhere it would be bad to have it.
This connection can be high impedance (i.e. you don't need a big strap
or cable.. it could even be run through an RF choke).

The other reason is that unless you're running in a full cage, your
screen might be 95 percent of the "capacitor" but the surroundings
around the coil will be the other 5 percent. You want the connected
together because capacitive coupling can allow current flow and you want
the current going somewhere predictable.