Re: [TCML] power losses through GTO wire

Jeff,

Dave Speck is right on the money with his explanation.
The transmission line conductors that lead from your HV
source to your main tank circuit (loop that forms the tank
capacitor, spark gap, and primary coil), can be relatively
small and amperage can genreally be measured in frac-
tions of or in low single digit intergers for even very large
coil systems) and, as Dave stated, even #18 wire would
be sufficient for this purpose. Once INSIDE the tank cir-
cuit loop, the peak current levels are much greater than
the continuous current levels that transverse the transmis-
sion lines that lead from the HV source to the tank circuit
loop (usually measured in the 100s of amps for even mo-
dest sized systems). Therefore, the conductors used inside
the tank circuit loop should be of a much heavier guage and
the runs should be kept as short and direct as possible.
Some coilers use welding cable or heavy braided grounding
strap for this purpose. Remember, a Tesla coil is a POWER
amplifier but it does NOT cause a net gain in its output
ENERGY vs. its input. I'll leave further explanation of this
principle to the better learned elite of this forum ;^)

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "jeff mill" <jeffmill2@xxxxxxxxxxx>