Re: [TCML] My x-ray machine

On 1/3/12 7:28 AM, Teslalabor wrote:
Are you crazy? Correct me if I am wrong, but...

1. I think it is very illegal (and unhealthy) for a private person to
build and especially operate a x-ray machine.

While not tesla coil related (except inasmuch as TCs were used in the early days to power an Xray source) it is relevant to talk about legalities..

The TCML has a world wide distribution and regulations and laws vary.
In the U.S., at least, there is no prohibition on making Xrays by oneself. If you sell X-ray machines there are various and sundry rules and regulations just like for anything else one might sell.

In the TC hobby/business, we deal with lethal voltages, etc., all the time, X-rays are no more or less dangerous than 20kV HVDC or high power RF from a microwave oven magnetron. They're different, and invisible, and can cause latent damage, but just as with HV in general, one can take sensible precautions. If you don't know how to work with it, then sure, it's unhealthy.

2. It is very stupid to post pictures of this in the www so everybody
can see, that you do this forbidden things. You should not be surprised
when the men in black are knocking on your door someday...

That's a whole different issue. Having not actually looked at the website in question I can't comment on the content, but in general, I can't see any problem with posting pictures and construction details for an X-ray source. It was in Scientific American's Amateur Scientist column more than once, and various reputable publications (theBellJar, for one).

Again, tying this to TCs.. A lot depends on how you present things. If you are portraying it as fringe science, or as a super weapon, then yes, your neighbors might get a bit cranky, and you might attract attention. And if your explanation skills aren't up to snuff, you might find yourself on the losing end of a "it might be dangerous, so don't do it". Sort of like making your own fireworks, or high powered rocketry, or any other of dozens of potentially hazardous activities.

(hey, there are people who think you shouldn't be storing filled scuba cylinders in residential areas.)

Having personally experienced the odd experience of "men in black knocking on your door" (Although in my case, more like, man in suit in parking lot on your way out of apartment asking "are you James Lux?").. this isn't the kind of thing that they're interested in.

More likely the fire department or police (the same as if you mentioned that you store dozens of barrels of racing fuel in your garage next to the pallets of fertilizer)

A bigger concern that might be more relevant is that the web has infinite memory. You might think it's cool and nifty to put up a "here's my death ray page" as a 15 year old with pictures showing you're a total bozo with respect to safety. 10 years later, you're applying for a job, and that kind of thing can come back to haunt you (although some places it would be an advantage... Hey, the kid didn't kill himself, since he's standing here in front of me, so he must have learned something... But those places are the distinct minority).

It's in the same category as pictures of you standing with a goofy grin and the ubiquitous red cup, or cellphone video of you taking bong hits (of totally legal Salvia, to be sure...). It just doesn't look good, and if YOU put the pictures up, it's even worse.

3. It is not very difficult to generate x-rays, so nothing special about
it. Every body can do this.

Which is why putting it on the web is no big deal.

And I also think x-ray stuff is not the topic of the TCML.

And there you have it..