Re: [TCML] Lichtenberg on TV

The Lichtenberg figure forms often when sparks slide over the surface of a dielectric. It is typical of dendritic figures that form when water or some substance has to spread out (or be collected from) a surface (or in the case of Bert Hickman's figures, or tree roots). In this case, charge has to be distributed. If the dI/dt is fast enough, the high dielectric constant of the water in the body will dominate over the resistivity and the current will flow over the surface. dI/dt can be as high as 10E11 amps per second in the vicinity of a lightning strike. This is probably why only about of 10% of lightning strike victims die. Power line electrocutions, however, are very often fatal, since the dI/dt is much slower and the current can flow into the body. This is basically a skin depth argument in the time domain and applied to a very lossy dielectric. We would not expect figures on the skin of a power line electrocution victim.