Re: [TCML] Lichtenberg on TV

On 1/8/12 7:11 AM, Carl Noggle wrote:
The Lichtenberg figure forms often when sparks slide over the surface of
a dielectric. It is typical of dendritic figures that form when water or
some substance has to spread out (or be collected from) a surface (or in
the case of Bert Hickman's figures, or tree roots). In this case, charge
has to be distributed. If the dI/dt is fast enough, the high dielectric
constant of the water in the body will dominate over the resistivity and
the current will flow over the surface. dI/dt can be as high as 10E11
amps per second in the vicinity of a lightning strike. This is probably
why only about of 10% of lightning strike victims die. Power line
electrocutions, however, are very often fatal, since the dI/dt is much
slower and the current can flow into the body. This is basically a skin
depth argument in the time domain and applied to a very lossy
dielectric. We would not expect figures on the skin of a power line
electrocution victim.

So it's a transient effect driven by rise time. Interesting. Lightning caused Lichtenberg figures occur on non-human substrates as well.

Here's a TC list question about which I've been wondering... Would
such a figure occur with an ordinary HV incident (e.g. contact with a
power line). Or would it have to be pulsed power with very high peak
current/voltage?

Lichtenberg figures are similar to the dendritic treeing that occurs
in dielectric, but not from the same cause, as far as I know (and
treeing is a long duration aging kind of effect), although the fractal
nature IS similar (and for the same reason.. field distributions)