To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Smoke Detector Issues

On 1/30/12 10:31 AM, pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Personally I would never run an unshielded medium sized TC indoors.
There is just so much electronics to lose. Use a fencing wire mesh cage
like this one.
The cage is your RF ground and mains ground.
http://tesladownunder.com/TeslaPhysics110mACageOn.jpg

It's important to realize that a cage around a TC actually doesn't do a very good job "shielding" RF (for a whole lot of reasons). (experiment for someone who has such a cage.. go in there (with TC off) with an AM radio tuned to a strong station. Does the level of the signal change? A lot or a little?)

On a smaller scale.. put your cellphone in your microwave oven (don't turn the microwave on!).. call your phone and see if it rings.

BUT, what it does do is provide a nice return path for spark currents, minimizing the size of the "transmitting loop"