Re: [TCML] attn Bart DRSSTC

wow, I actually got up this morning and read some emails (grin).

Scott, yeah docs on the subject are far and few between. Most information comes from forums such as 4HV, Tesla Universe, etc.. Most designs copy Steve Wards DRSSTC's at his website which is linked at classictesla. It was quite a learning curve for myself. DRSSTC's are somewhat complicated, but not too bad (certainly not as simple as throwing hv across a sparkgap). As they are solid state, they do require solid state parts and yes, IGBT's are the favorites. We usually buy surplus to keep the cost down. Cap sizes are usually larger than their SG counterparts due to the larger inductance of the coils themselves. Designing the coil, you want to keep it's resonant frequency low enough to me manageable with the IGBT's. Smaller DRSSTC's can of course have higher frequency, but the larger coils will typically be in the 40 to 60 kHz range. Thus, inductance on the sec. Anyway, yeah there is a lot of stuff that goes into it and it is expensive. There is no doubt about that. It took me a long time to build one which time I used to ask questions and gather parts as funds were not always available. But in the end, I learned a great deal and had one of the best running coils I've ever built. It's like the energizer bunny (keeps going and going and going). If you got to see David Blaines stunt this year in NY, note those 7 largish DRSSTC's ran all those days non stopped. Steve and the others of Arc Attack did a great job with those coils.

Anyway, check out Steve's designs as that's the best place to start then just find the forums I mentioned to ask questions.

Take care,
Bart