[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC powered coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC powered coil

On 12/7/13 8:41 AM, Mike Tucknott wrote:
Hi all
Been a long time since I'v asked for any help but I'v a question that I need an answer to.
When I run a classic style coil AC transformer, spark gap, MMC cap, the spark output
Is high frequency AC, so what output am I getting when I run my coil on a high voltage
DC power supply.
I'm running our 15KVA through a full bridge rec, through a giant stack of DC smoothing
Caps, charging choke and then a de-Qing diode.
This lot feeds back in to the old coil primary tank, RSG and MMC.
The sparks look and sound different.

The actual TC part has the same RF frequency, etc.

I suspect what's different is that when you run on AC, the primary cap voltage at which the spark gap fires changes from bang to bang, so the amount of energy in the system changes.

But with a DC coil, each and every bang is exactly the same.

With the AC coil, you're probably hearing it modulated by the 50 Hz line frequency in some way, but with the DC coil it's not.

Spark growth (which is a cumulative effect of the bangs) is also going to be different.