Re: [TCML] need help

Terry,

I'll leave a more thorough responses to your questions to some of the more knowledgable
resident member geniuses but to give you a brief rundown:

#1 - It doesn't take a large well-built and tuned Tesla coil to produce 20" discharges.
       A 4" x 16" secondary coil with a topload of approximately the same dimensions
        should handily do the trick, whether SG driven or of the DRSSTC variety.
#2 - How much it cost is somewhat dependant on how advanced your "scrounging"
       skills are ;^) but I would think that you should be able to construct a spark gap
       driven coil of this magnitude for < $500 w/out much difficulty. The fully electronic
       DRSSTC may cost a bit more and is also considerably more advanced in
       design than a SG driven coil. I would recommend the plain SG driven coil
       for the beginner coiler. The main costs would be the transformer, capacitor(s),
       and the wire and/or copper tubing for the primary and secondary coils
#3 - Plexiglas is NOT a good idea, as the heat of the discharges will start to melt
       and carbon track the plastic surface in a pretty short order. Tempered glass
       would be a better choice - avoid any plastic product for this purpose. Also,
       the sparks can pretty easily penetrate plexiglas.
#4 - Low pressure inert gases do make for interesting colors and effects with
       electrical discharges but obviously require air tight seals. Also, the discharges
       are nearly silent (think neon signs) and don't require near the voltage potential
       to bridge a given gap as opposed to open air. Sealed inert gas chambers for
       the discharges would certainly increase the construction complexity (and cost),
       though.
#5 - Wood is a poor insulator for the high voltages and frequencies of typical
       Tesla coil discharges and will also quickly carbon track and give off copius
       smoke!

Fellow list member Jim Lux, as well as others, can give you a more thorough dis-
sertation on the liability issues of using TCs near other people, but I think the
bottom line is that it's quite a difficult task to operate them near people while keep-
ing it "OSHA" safe, from a legal liability standpoint. KVA Effects is a professional
special effects company in Southern California that specializes in Tesla coil/
high voltage effects and Jeff Parisse, their CEO, has voiced the exorbitant
insurance costs for them to do the Tesla coil effects for hire on this forum.
(And they know what their doing!) I would suggest proposing your TC
idea to the school administration to see if they would even allow it before you
dive too deep into this project, unless you'd like to built a TC for your
own enjoyment.

David Rieben