Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Carl,

The advantage of a synchronous rotary over a blown static gap when used
with NSTs is a longer spark output can be obtained.  Static gaps tend to
fire somewhat chaotically, for example two firings might occur within an
AC power half-cycle at times, and just one firing at other times.  By using
a 120 bps synch rotary, firing at the peak voltage is assured, and also
just one firing per AC power half-cycle is assured.  Also a rotary is
better able to "hold off" the firing until the right time (at the peak voltage).
By firing at the right time, it also lets more energy be stored in the
metal core of the transformer.  Because of all this, a larger value LTR
capacitor can be used, which increases the bang size.  This all
contributes to longer sparks.  It is possible to achieve just as good
results using a static gap, but it has to be a triggered static gap.
Interestingly, in my tests, the triggered gap was very loud and bright
due to the wide gap spacing which had to be used to prevent premature
firing.  All this noise and light didn't noticeably reduce the spark length
however, as I obtained the same spark length in both cases.

Cheers,
John Freau