Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

I missed the word "triggered" the first time I read your post. That would indeed be a big help, especially with a rectified supply.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Lux
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:53 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

On 3/23/13 7:25 AM, Carl Noggle wrote:
Hey---

After a couple of years of reading the wisdom in these posts, I still am
not sure what advantage the rotary gap has over a blown static gap.
Could any enlighten me?  thanks much...

Control of number of breaks per second (by number of electrodes on rotor
or stator) and relative timing to line frequency.

A blown static gap fires when the voltage gets "high enough".

I think a well designed blown triggered gap could do as well (if not
better) than a rotary, but it trades electronics complexity for
mechanical complexity.

A rotary gap could have better quenching, but I'm not sure.  The arc
stretches pretty long after the initial presentation and firing, and
ultimately, I think it's really no different than stretching the arc in
a blown gap.