Re: [TCML] Using Triggered Gaps, was Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

On 3/23/13 9:03 AM, Futuret wrote:
I experimented with two methods that used an automotive
ignition coil to trigger the cap using a centrally located
tungsten rod placed halfway between the main static gap.

I've tried the disk with a hole in it ( a washer) between two electrodes. It worked ok, but eventually, I found the axial trigger electrode seemed to work better. You can adjust where the tip of the tungsten electrode is: I used it roughly even with the surface of the pipe cap with a hole in it. I ran compressed air along side the tungsten, so when it fires, it blows ions into the gap (and cools the electrode, too)

One method supplied voltage to the ignition coil to create
the HV pulse, the other method removed voltage from
the coil to create the pulse (inductive kick).  Both methods
worked and I controlled the timing using a lamp-dimmer
type triac/diac phase controller to time the spark.  (I used
phase angle to trigger time-wise, not voltage.)  Both
methods were a little touchy to adjust and were at the
edge of their ranges for best results.

Touchy is right.. I had a tough time getting it consistent. Probably because as you run, things get warm and change the properties.

That's why I started thinking about something more like a car capacitive discharge.. I have a variety of strobe circuits (charge cap with 400V DC, then fire using a SCR) that I started to use, but I blew a couple up, and then I ran out of time to finish it.

Every once in a while I look at the autoparts catalogs and think there must be some inexpensive ($20 ish) piece that could be repurposed here. Electronic points replacements, even. Somewhere in a junk box, I have a bunch of HV transistors designed to work with the (obsolete) motorola electronic ignition driver (very high BVceo, darlington pair, good avalanche properties so that a breakdown doesn't destroy the part).

Maybe something like a filament transformer run backwards as a trigger pulse transformer going to the car coil would work. You need a fair amount of energy (100 mJ to a joule) to get a healthy spark, so it's not a "low power" device (a joule * 120 BPS is 120 Watts... )

 This was based
on work that Mark Metlica did years ago, and John
Tebbs also did some designing on the inductive kick
method if I remember correctly.  This work should all
be in the Pupman archives.  I had to set the main gap
about 5/8" to 3/4" wide to prevent premature firing
using a 12/30 NST.  I did these triggered static gap
tests using my TT-42 coil which normally ran with a
120 bps synchronous rotary gap.

    Jim wrote:

"On this basis, one would expect a single triggered gap with long path to be
better than a multigap."

I agree.

Cheers,
John Freau