Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Hi Scott,

Superb. I understood every word.
I'm thinking of keeping my 3.5" x 14" 29AWG secondary and adding a 4" x 16"
Topload beneath the existing 7.25" x 26". Do you think that would be
enough? I can't afford much error...

What do you (all) think about using 240/360/480bps and a smaller capacitor?
Or is it 120bps in itself that performs best with NSTs and not simply a
srsg..? Otherwise I was thinking of using 4 strings of 11 caps
(942C20P15K-f) to get 22kV at 54nf. I know this is close to the peak output
of my NSTs, but I need to be as economical as possible. Just how unwise is
this?

I'll do some research on machining the rotor before I ask anything about
that.

Thanks a lot,
Brandon H.

On Mar 24, 2013 8:43 AM, "Scott Bogard" <sdbogard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> tuning) BUT it will most likely fry your NSTs, as it will actually change
> your wattage from 1800 to something higher, and require other design
> changes as shown above.  As for how to calculate these, you can look it
up,
> there are resonate and LTR calculators everywhere.  Personally I don't use
> nor like LTR caps, I like an external ballast, and a high BPS system, but
> that is not an option for NSTs, as the ballast is built in.
> Ok, onto srsg design, the easiest way is to get a surplus induction motor
> and grind flats onto it, there is loads of info on this in the archives,
> and others have done actual studies.  When I built my only sync gap, I got
> lucky and the thing worked perfectly, but if you grind off too much the
> motor is junk, and too little and it won't sync.  Then phase is adjusted
> with a phase controller, or rotating the motor in its mount, you want it
> fire at the peak of the AC cycle.  To adjust mine, I taped a flourescent
> lego to the rods and used a black light, and lined it up so the brightest
> spot lined up with the rods (this will make more sense if you read into
> them a bit.)  Ok, I feel like I've given you enough to chew on for a bit,
> hopefully others will chime in as well!
>
> Scott Bogard.
>

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Brandon Hendershot <
> brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Now that I've finally gotten something out of my long overdue 3.5" coil,
> > I'm already itching to start work on the next.
> > I've decided to make the switch to a rotary spark gap and have settled
on
> > synchronous over asynchronous for the sake of performance and security
of
> > my NSTs.
> > I want to be sure I do this coil right and plan everything out before I
buy
> > anything. Here are the parts and specs for what I know is going into the
> > new coil:
> > - 15/120 (4 x 15/30) NST Bank
> > - 7.25" x 26" Topload
> > - 0.25" x 0.25" Flat Primary Coil (Plenty long, should be enough
> > regardless)
> > *- ~6" x 24" 25** AWG Secondary Coil (*subject to change(**especially
so))

> > I've read that 120 BPS is just about the best you can get when you're
using
> > NSTs, so I'm going to be building the rest around that. I haven't found
> > motor yet, any specific RPM to look for? HP will vary since we don't
know
> > what style we want yet.
> > I'm assuming not (you know what they say about that), but does the
> > capacitance of the MMC vary depending on the BPS? Since it's synchronous
> > with the AC waveform and firing at a single frequency I imagine not...
> > Rather, isn't the Input watts the only determining factor? Silly me.
Next