Re: [TCML] Brandon's new coil

A dc coil will add some expense as you will need rectifiers and energy
storage capacitors.   The diodes cam be found on eBay for about 10 cents
each and the storage capacitors, depending on size can run from $100.
up.  On my two smaller power supplies I using (6) 8ufd/4kv in series, where
cost about $50. each.   My largest 5kw+ supply is using two 70ufd/10kv in
series with safety fuses.  I've had these capacitors for many years and
although they are way over size for the job they will allow the power
supply to be used for other high voltage/energy projects.  Going to a dc
coil is not the cheapest method but it is another option for Tesla fun.  It
took me almost 50 years to try the dc version so take your time.   The
rotary gap on a dc coil can operate at about any speed without creating a
problem, and is fun to boot.  I have a fair number of NST that are damaged
from using in an ac coil.  My fault entirely from pushing for more spark
length.   If you happen to have other non current limiting high voltage
transformers and by using voltage multiplier circuitry they can become real
performers in dc coil useage.  Go slow and enjoy all of your options.
Charles

n Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Brandon Hendershot <