From: Michael Gray <graymp89@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, May 5, 2013 5:25 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Burnt Joint (Cap Bank)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I must have forgotten to include the
bleeder resistors. This board is the second iteration of my cap bank; the
first had bleeder resistors on it so I must have forgotten to include them
on this one. So I'm resoldering it completely, removing the red wiring
between each cap and replacing with the legs of the resistors as they are
long enough to adjoin each cap too. Good point about the trailing leads -
I've now tied each trailing lead to the board with some magnet wire,
through the board holes and twisted taught.

When I first turned on the coil I did here what sounded like arcing as I
was turning up the variac (before spark gap had fired), but I wasn't sure
what it was as I couldn't see the cap bank from where I was standing, and
of course it was my first go so I didn't know what to expect. So that was
probably the dry solder joint as has been suggested. I'll hopefully have
the board resoldered tonight, and will have another crack at it in the
morning. Hopefully it works, very excited, thanks everyone!