Re: [TCML] Burnt Joint (Cap Bank)

On 5/12/13 11:15 AM, Mike Gray wrote:
Thanks again for all the advice, really appreciate it. I've had another
crack this weekend and I'm happy to report partial success! I have a number
of questions too...

To respond to earlier messages, I firstly cut my strike rail down a bit so
there's a decent (~2 inch) gap between the two ends, thanks for pointing
that one out. With regard to the wood framework I've used for most of it,
I'm going to order a load of Perspex sheeting to re-design the framework
altogether. Does anyone have any recommendations for this? I'm in the UK
and will probably just order some 15mm thick acrylic sheets from an online
vendor, unless advised otherwise.

Polycarbonate rather than acrylic would be my choice. Don't know the trade name in UK. Lexan is one name in US. It doesn't crack as easily when drilling holes, etc.

If you want an inexpensive, easy to work with material for HV, I recommend plastic cutting boards. They're available in Polyethylene, Polypropylene, and Polycarbonate, and all work great. HDPE is easy to work with (cut with wood working tools) and a great insulator: it just isn't clear: if you want that, then polycarbonate is your friend.

You can get fairly good sized sheets of HDPE as cutting boards at a restaurant supply store, online, or in other places. Around here (southern california) a 18x24" cutting board 1/2" thick runs about $13-15.

Polycarbonate can be glued. PE cannot (at least not easily).