[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

Hi Greg et al
Look forward to  that.

I've been looking for years to see somebody with 3 phase access use MOT's in
the manner you will be.  It is a configuration just begging to be tried and
really cheaply done with free MOT's.
You will certainly obtain a stiff DC supply with very little ripple and no
big storage energy in a filter. I believe the MOT's will be fine and keeping
the DC filter cap small (if you use one at all) will greatly help the peak
current in the rectifier diodes small.

This design may be similar to my 6 MOT DC single phase 10kVA with resonant
charging although I have 3 MOTs in series per side centre tapped all driving
a FW bridge rectifier.

I assume you will use MOT's in the ring up inductor, I have done this with
success. I gapped them and set up an array of two in series and then
parallel two of these. Gapped to 0.3mm was what I used. simply put formica
sheet in the gap and glued it back together  with builders wallboard
adhesive. (that brown cheap stuff). MOT's are deceptively easy to take the
E/I apart but removing the primary can be a little tough

Good luck
Ted in NZ