RE: [TCML] Re: Coil Died

I remember talking with Gary Lau about his story of un-potting, repairing and then re-potting his 15/60 NST.  Can't say I blame you for not wanting to go through that mess.  As I recall he heated  up the transformer on one of those fifth burners, a portable electric stovetop section, to loosen the tar around the windings.  That stuff was so nasty it sounds like whatever clothes you wear should be throw-aways, and try not to get it on your skin.  Once the tar was off he fixed the winding and re-potted in the same case.
His page that mentions how he re-potted it with vaseline as an insulator. Its actually on his transformer circuit protection page here  http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/protection.htm

Brian Hall