[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla coil threat to pacemakers [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla coil threat to pacemakers

This has been a concern of mine for years, as I have operated my large TC
system in a variety of venues.

Today's pacemakers (implanted type) are first of all enclosed in a
metallic case. The only possibility is for disruptive current spikes to
get induced via the electrodes to the heart muscle, which are typically
very short in length.

Capacitively-induced charges are unlikely due to the pacemaker being
enclosed within the body itself. The skin tissue, being somewhat
conductive to to the saline content also acts as a (weak) Faraday cage.
With short actual electrode wires, resonant issues are likewise dubious.

For what it's worth, I have a Cochlear Implant just under the skin on the
side of my head, it's electrode(s) terminate directly in the cochlea
itself. I have operated my TC (being less than 10 feet away from the
secondary) with zero interference or disruption in either the external
signal-processing device nor the implant itself.

The specification from my implant manufacturer states the implant is
functional at up to 3V/m electric field strength, don't forget it's
imbedded in slightly saline moisture as well.

We simply presented a disclaimer that anyone with a pacemaker or
bio-electrical device move to the back of the seating area.

- b