[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] LC Circuit [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] LC Circuit

Sounds interesting.

On 4/26/2014 9:51 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 4/26/14, 5:11 AM, Jim wrote:
Thanks to all. Your answers have helped me understand these principles
better. I went looking online for a u-shape tube in order to see an
example of the popular 'electricity as hydraulics' analogy. I did not
find one but I did find this wikipedia article on 'electricity as
hydraulics'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_analogy I will
have to study the issue in depth in order to understand LC circuits
clearly.  I am showing my coil to some middle school children on
Thursday and was planning on bringing a pendulum in order to help teach
the concept of LC circuits. I kinda like the water sloshing back and
forth in a glass tube analogy.

I'd seriously consider trying the coupled pendulum experiment.

Lots of ways to do it, but here's an easy one.

Get a broomstick or piece of pipe that's 4 feet long, approximately.

Hang two pendulums (weight on a string) from the pipe, spaced about a foot apart. Make the pendulum around 2-3 feet long, so the period is reasonably slow.

Set the broom stick across the backs of two chairs facing away from each other, so a couple sawhorses, etc. The pendulums need to hang free, and the broom stick needs to be free to move a bit.

Start *one* of the pendulums swinging.

Watch