[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Findinding the facts of a 3 P unknown transformer 50:1, "black Box" and Charging inductor(s) design. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Findinding the facts of a 3 P unknown transformer 50:1, "black Box" and Charging inductor(s) design.

Hi Bert, Stefan,

The L-diode filter is a great way to filter DC links, since it provides heavy damping with low losses and virtually no Q. It's analogous to a shock absorber in a car suspension... the diff-eqs are quite similar.

The event that drove me to switch to an L-diode filter was finding a bunch of molded 45kV diode stacks in the scrapyard. :D

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg and Stefan,

The combination of resistors, capacitors, and spark gaps in a Terry
filter provide a low-pass filter and protection from primary strikes.
The resistors and MOV's provide rapid damping of energy from UHF/VHF or
other over-voltage transients. But the protection comes at the expense
of significant parts count and added power losses. This filter was
designed primarily to protect fragile NST's, and it should provide
similar protection for other fragile upstream components, such as
charging inductors. However, Greg's approach is more cost-effective and
efficient.

Until Greg's last post, I was unfamiliar with his current protection
approaches. His L-diode protection scheme has the advantages of being
robust, easier to construct, and significantly more efficient - and it
has demonstrated its reliably in large systems. Stefan, I see no reason
why a similar approach shouldn't work for your system as well. I
certainly can't argue with success.  :^)

Best wishes,

Bert