[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Phantom Streams video [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Phantom Streams video

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Jeff.

We share a common interest in exploring the different types of electrical
patterns in coils. I once produced a unique blue jet discharge with a
combination flat spiral and tall solenoid secondary. The blue jets were
more or less equally spaced and of similar lengths and discharged only in
the top hemisphere of the top load. In other coils I have seen the
perpendicular discharges you are calling phantoms, too.

My experience is flatter secondary coils tend to produce thicker and whiter
streamers, while taller coils tend to produce thinner and purpler
streamers. On any coil, the spark between the secondary ground and true
ground will be thicker and whiter, and the spark between the secondary coil
top and true ground will be thinner and purpler. This observation alone
indicates something is fundamentally different in the condition of the
electrons at those locations.

The coil geometry also determines the pattern of ambient magnetic flux
tubes in the immediate environment of the secondary. A strong dielectric on
the secondary will increase the E field strength surrounding the secondary.
The dominant environmental factors for determining streamer patterns seems
to be aerosol particles (dust), and humidity. The room I used for my
experiments had a layer of aluminum treated mylar on all the walls and
ceiling, which may have helped develop electrostatic resonance in the room.
The combination of magnetic flux patterns, E field, and ambient medium
determine the discharge patterns.

The quality of the resonance and the positions of the nodes in the
secondary also influence the streamer patterns. In the combination coils I
built, they were tuned to have one of the nodes where the two coils were
connected. It seems this was a major factor in producing the blue jets.

For the past five years I have been gradually building a new workshop and
home. I just finished it this last winter. I hope to get back to coil
engineering this year, along with several other experiments I have been
interested in.

If someone out there has a three D printer that can print a coil form about
8 inches by 48 inches, I have a special secondary I have been wanting to
build for the past ten years.

Dave Thomson