[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions

Dear Group,
Thank you to all who answered my questions.

My best results were 30cm at around 1500W.
Primary: 54 turns speaker wire 1.5mm
Secondary: 0.5mm 380 turns
Topload: Washer 4cm dia with welding tip for breakout
Tank cap: 125pf 25kv Vacuum Cap
Tubes: Twin GU 81m
Power: Half wave rectified MOT with charging reactor

I noticed a few things but I could be wrong:
1. Secondary and primary work best when they are the same length or a
atleast 80% of the secondary length. Less spot heating issues and better
performance.
2. Under 600 turns is easier to tune and less prone to flash over
3. Higher inductance secondaries with low tank caps run cooler

None of my systems use a grid leak system as I can never place the feedback
coil in the right spot. So I wind 5 to 15 turns extra to the base of the
secondary.  The joined wires go to earth and the lowest wire goes to grid.
Adjusting resistance going to the grid lets me know if I have too many
turns. Then all I do is add or remove turns to tune and remove the
resistor. I have not had problems with melting or hot grids (yet).

If the tube oscillates at several mhz I know the primary connection needs
to be reversed. A bit dodgy but I came up with the idea out of frustration
and lack of powerful resistors.

The transformer ratio of my VTTC is 1:7 but I am definitely getting more
than 7 times the voltage out.

I don't understand the technical aspects too well but I was enquiring about
the 3 coil system because if I could just double the voltage of the
secondary with another coil I would achieve my target.

Seems as I am limit to 4kv on the primary side.

But it's probably not that simple...

Cheers!
-Wil