[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching

I mounted mine inside of some PVC pipe, which made it easy to hide the
flash.  It can be easier, however, to mount the pipes side by side.

You can hold the pipes with a pipe drilling jig (V-block) in your drill
press, or if you don't have a drill press, mount them carefully in a
vise.  Scribe a line along the length of the pipe section, and mark
where your holes will be, an equal distance from the top and the bottom.

I mounted mine with 8-32 machine screws, just holding the nuts inside of
pipe with my finger to get the screw started, then with a small wrench
to tighten.  This provides an easy method of electrical connection at
the outside of the housing if you attach some ring terminals at the time
of assembly.

You can use a credit card, or feeler gauges, whatever is the right
distance for you.  I made a six-gap unit, and ended up connecting it as
two three-gap units in parallel.  As with any static gap, the overall
gap width affects the BPS of the unit, and to protect your transformer
and cap you don't want the gap to be too wide

Jon