[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Number of stationary electrodes & gap spacing in RSG [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Number of stationary electrodes & gap spacing in RSG

Hi Stefan, all,

Well I did leave a caveat in my statement about the performance "drop-off" with my 4-gap vs. 2-gap setup - I stated that "it may have just been my imagination" ;-) I may also should've added that "YMMV". ;-)) Like I said though, this was just my personal observation and only mine. Btw, I at one time had also employed a 3-gap blown stationary gap in series with my main 2-gap rotary gap for the suppression of the "ring of fire" and poor quenching (noted by a muffled "popping" sound that could be heard over the ambient noise of the sparks) of my rotary. I have since changed my input ballast to the transformer and since doing this, the ring of fire problem has disappeared, even with only the 2-gap rotary for spark commutation. I just decided to give the 4-gap setup a try after switching over to my current ballast and this was when I made these "observations". Btw, the ballast that I am now using is completely "homemade" - 2 "C" core halves from a dead soldier x-ray tranny that is wound on each of the 2 "legs" with ~100 or so turns of #8 THNN copper cable, which are paralleled. I adjusted the spacing between the core halves by carefully ramping up 240 volts via a variac into the ballast and adjust the core spacing so that it was drawing right at 100 amps when "shorting" a 240 volt input. This has proven to be my best performing ballast with my system to date.

David

Sent from my iPhone