[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Resin or fibergl - motor controller ideas [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Resin or fibergl - motor controller ideas

We're all on the same page. I have a Cortex M0 based microcontroller and I'm setting up a system for assembly language programming using mcu on eclipse. I have an optocoupler that I will protect with a series capacitor and connect to the ac line to get a pulse stream of 120 per second. I'll get a hall effect sensor that will hopefully detect my 6 copper clad tungsten electrodes spinning on my disk. If not then I can embed some bits of metal in between the electrodes which is where I need them anyways. Now I have a second stream of pulses that I can speed up and slow down by outputting to a power control device like the vfd. My algorithm will be based on a division by six but there will be lots of other things to do as well. I'll switch my nst's by a solid state relay so if the mcu ever fails they will disconnect immediately. This should become the standard method of phase syncing any motor into synchronous action. If I had a lab full of scopes and test equipment I might try and do the same thing with a cmos phase locked loop that sells for 29 cents. But I like the control that I get with an mcu.

On 09/19/2014 12:55 AM, Dave Halliday wrote:
John was saying that if the Bodine motor was a hysteresis type synchronous
motor, it would lock in to one of a set of stable phase positions. (And
regardless of what type it is, Bodine is the go-to standard for bullet-proof
motors, great score!)

If you were using the closed-loop controller, you could compensate for this.

Your inputs would be

#1) - the encoder on your motor shaft (paint a section of the shaft black
and put a dot of white paint on it and use an opto-reflector sensor to read
the difference)

#2) - the incoming power frequency. Your Arduino is going to require power
so just tap this off the power supply before rectification and filtering.

Your control would be a pot to adjust phase.

Your output would be the control voltage to the VFD

The Arduino would detect motor start and it would output the last known
control voltage (the value being read from non-volatile memory)

It would find the difference between the incoming power frequency and the
output rotation of the motor and increment a counter to bring these into
sync. Counting to 3,600 would get you accurate to a 10th degree.

Allowing for the mechanics to stabilize, I bet that you could have a perfect
gap within thirty seconds of starting the motor.

Also, I would not use the Arduino for controlling the coil. With this much
power, relays, e-stop buttons, crowbars and deadman switches are a lot
better to use. A buggy line of code should not result in an injury or
worse...

Dave