[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] NTC Thermistor surge suppression [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] NTC Thermistor surge suppression

Hi Dave, all,

Point well taken, and I certainly do not wish to appear cavalier when it comes to safety. I probably should also mention that I have somewhat of a "leg up" on the average John Q. Citizen in the realm of fire safety knowledge, as I am a 26+ year professional firefighter for my "day job". Around 20 years ago, I had a little incident where I was running a fair sized coil inside a room of my house. The sparks kept hitting the draywall ceiling and after a bit, I started noticing an odor of smoke. My firefighting experience prompted me to quickly investigate the source of the smoke odor. I discovered that the sparks had ignited the blown-in cellulose insulation in the attic over where I had been running my coil. Fortunately, this type of insulation only smolders and it was easy to extinguish by simply dumping a cooking pot full of water over the smoldering area. Yes, it did leave a water stain on the ceiling beneath, but that's certainly more acceptable than a
 full blown attic fire! That's one incident that I chocked to experience and NEVER shared amongst my professional piers (for obvious reasons!)  ;^))

Take care,
David Rieben