[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Variable Ballast [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Variable Ballast

A good alternative is a bombarder choke, if you can't find anything locally. I have two, and shipping is WAY cheaper. Also Google ARRL and look for a nearby Hamfest. All kinds of goodies can be found there.
      From: Phil <pip@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Friday, July 31, 2015 5:16 AM
 Subject: RE: [TCML] Variable Ballast

Jon,
The modern cheap import ones you see knocking about are generally not up to the job for a pole pig, without getting pretty hot during use. I melted and shorted the windings of one a while back while running @ 10.5kv / 400mA - (hardly pig output) simply because I left it running for several minutes (they normally have a thermal cutout to disconnect the mains input during normal use)
Their duty cycle is very low sometimes, especially as Yurtle mentions, if Alu' conductor is used; also the resulting voltage drop from lossy windings gets multiplied up by the pig, so you could potentially be losing 0.5kv at the worst case.
Winding your own ballast is a better option.

Regards
Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com