[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Variable Ballast [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Variable Ballast

Bud,
The wire diameter used is just the generally accepted limits for magnet wire
and I used an old posting at
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1998/April/msg00222.html  from Father Tom
Gahee, (back in the good old days) for my mini pig project, while for the
ballast I used covered electric wire and noted the manufacturer's limit.

As for core size, when I built a mini-pig I researched various sources and
found several formulas,
all of which varied slightly, with a lot dependant on knowing the cores
magnetic specifications, which of course I didn't, and most of us won't
either.
So I came up with an average (based on others) of taking the square root of
the power and multiplying that by 0.14, which is what I also used for my
ballast cores.
The cross section area mainly affects saturation level, once that happens
the ballast no longer restricts the current to anywhere near the same
degree, so you need to avoid that occurring at all costs. The core size is
also related to thermal mass, so another reason that size is important. If
the core wasn't lossy in theroy it shouldn't get warm of course.
The formula gives me just under 12 sq ins for a 7 kW ballast, although at
the time I think 5 or 6kw was the design figure I aimed for, (I've just got
greedy since then).
So a bigger cross section is better for thermal mass, but critical for
avoiding saturation. If we assumed a cross section needed to avoid
saturation was 12 sq ins, a lossy 14 sq ins core could actually overheat
more than a 12 sq ins lower loss core though - and welders tend to have
cheap lossy cores, as opposed to say a pig's lower loss type of core.
So provided the core is sufficient size to stop saturation, then I would aim
for a low loss core from a source other than a welder as my first
preference.
Easy to say, but harder to acquire in the real world, so for a welder maybe
aim for an older big one rather than a newer smaller unit to play safe, but
if you want lighter in weight and very little over heating / voltage drop,
(mine never even gets warm) aim for a proper transformer core and wind your
own.
Bear in mind my thinking of going for low loss, is all based on living in
the UK where we can only 'get' 450ma or so 11.5kv pigs (and even they are
like golden Hen's teeth!), but in the US with 14.5kv (? kW) pigs being much
easier to acquire, a voltage drop of 0.5kv is really not that important of
course.

You don't need many turns, but you will need to make sure the core's winding
space is sufficient for what you do need.
I think in the US a lot just use a big coil of wire with an old iron mass in
the centre, so much depends on just how portable you need to be, and how
much loss you can afford to accept.
While a coil of old wire with bits of old iron bed-frame in the middle maybe
fine in the garden at home, it's not acceptable when turning up at an
occasional public event, well not in the UK <grin>.

Regards
Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com