[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Recent variac problem. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Recent variac problem.

Vincent,

Did you happen to change fuse types at some point. I would think you would want a slow blow type. Also, a long shot on this, but make sure the fuse connection is tight and clean and that the clamping or holding is not loose. A loose connection might add heat to the fuse and perhaps blow the fuse sooner. Not certain but just a thought.

I doubt that your supply mains voltage has gone up but in some weird cases the balance of the two legs of 240VAC can change (neutral loose connection or open neutral in your box or house feed) making the 240 unbalanced with maybe 140 and 100VAC instead a balanced 120 and 120 VAC. That is a unusual but it has happened. If your mains was higher than 120 VAC the variac could take it even higher and you would draw excessive current. Are you getting longer arc length than in normal years in the past, just before the fuse blows?

Any leaking filter capacitors or line filter failure starting if wired after (downstream)
the variac? Let us know what you find. Best of luck with this.

And if you ever run 4 12/30's NST I think you will need a higher current rated variac. Variacs can take higher currents than their ratings for a short period of time.
Terry Leonard