[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Javatc questions, and primary to secondary coupling, etc [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Javatc questions, and primary to secondary coupling, etc

Your coupling coefficient (k) looks low, probably because the bottom of the secondary windings are too high up from the primary. Using JAVATC, adjust the spacing between the primary and secondary and the vertical distance between the bottom of the secondary and the primary until the coupling coefficient is as close to the recommended value as possible. As a starting point I would make the bottom of the secondary the same height as the primary. I would then adjust the horizontal spacing between the secondary and primary.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Hall" <brianh4242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:19:07 PM
Subject: [TCML] Javatc questions, and primary to secondary coupling, etc

Hi, I got a good 15.75" diameter flat wooden disc that I think will be perfect for my 4.25" diameter secondary that I've had wound for a while.

1) When the pvc secondary stands as a column in the middle of what will be the center of the primary, there is bare pvc 3" up until the turns start for the coil.  Then there are 16" of 24 AWG wire.  Given that, how far out from the bottom of the coil should I start my secondary turns?  I was thinking of going about 3/4" to 1" away from the secondary pvc for the first turn where it will go down underneath to the rest of the tank circuit, is that too close to the secondary? Not close enough? I plan to use 25' of 1/4" copper tubing on 8 radial supports (I tried just 4 supports before, didn't work so good)

2) Is there a template or guide to making 8 radial spiral supports for 1/4" copper tubing spaced 1/4" apart, so as I wind the tubing around the notches will line up with the spiral?

3) Should the spiral direction of the primary match the spiral direction of the secondary?  For example, when I look down on my secondary from above, as it will be when it's placed the finished design, the coil is wound counterclockwise from top to bottom, spiraling to the left.  Given that, in what direction should I wind the primary, starting from the inside turn ?

4) When my javatc data below is  rendered for this coil, the line drawing is far down below the canvas.  Did I enter a number wrong, or could it be my browser acting up?

J A V A T C version 13.2 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT
8/27/2017, 1:03:15 PM

Units = Inches
Ambient Temp = 68ºF

Surrounding Inputs:
100 = Ground Plane Radius
100 = Wall Radius
200 = Ceiling Height

Secondary Coil Inputs:
Current Profile = G.PROFILE_LOADED
2.125 = Radius 1
2.125 = Radius 2
3 = Height 1
19 = Height 2
711 = Turns
24 = Wire Awg

Primary Coil Inputs:
Round Primary Conductor
3.75 = Radius 1
9.203 = Radius 2
1 = Height 1
1 = Height 2
10.8191 = Turns
0.25 = Wire Diameter
1 = Ribbon Width
0.1 = Ribbon Thickness
0.0077 = Primary Cap (uF)
30 = Total Lead Length
0.2 = Lead Diameter

Top Load Inputs:
Toroid #1: minor=4, major=20, height=20, topload

Secondary Outputs:
273.95 kHz = Secondary Resonant Frequency
90 deg ° = Angle of Secondary
16 inch = Length of Winding
44.4 inch = Turns Per Unit
0.0024 inch = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)
791.1 ft = Length of Wire
3.76:1 = H/D Aspect Ratio
20.1404 Ohms = DC Resistance
22603 Ohms = Reactance at Resonance
0.97 lbs = Weight of Wire
13.131 mH = Les-Effective Series Inductance
13.261 mH = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance
12.826 mH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
25.703 pF = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
25.452 pF = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance
33.712 pF = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance
5.59 mils = Skin Depth
22.631 pF = Topload Effective Capacitance
79.7443 Ohms = Effective AC Resistance
283 = Q

Primary Outputs:
273.95 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency
0 % = Percent Detuned
0 deg ° = Angle of Primary
36.69 ft = Length of Wire
6.09 mOhms = DC Resistance
0.254 inch = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)
2.442 inch = Proximity between coils
1.77 inch = Recommended minimum proximity between coils
43.144 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
0.0077 µF = Cap size needed with Primary L (reference)
0.861 µH = Lead Length Inductance
67.056 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.09 k = Coupling Coefficient
0.13 k = Recommended Coupling Coefficient
11.11  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
20.18 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

Transformer Inputs:
120 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage
15000 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage
30 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current
60 [Hz] = Mains Frequency
140 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage
0 [amps] = Transformer Ballast Current

Transformer Outputs:
450 [volt*amps] = Rated Transformer VA
500000 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence
17500 [rms volts] = Effective Output Voltage
4.38 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Primary Current
0.035 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Secondary Current
613 [volt*amps] = Effective Input VA
0.0053 [ºF] = Resonant Cap Size
0.008 [ºF] = Static gap LTR Cap Size
0.0138 [ºF] = SRSG LTR Cap Size
83 [ºF] = Power Factor Cap Size
24749 [peak volts] = Voltage Across Cap
61872 [peak volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating
2.36 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy
331.2 [peak amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current
35.8 [inch] = Spark Length (JF equation using Resonance Research Corp. factors)
135.2 [peak amps] = Sec Base Current

Static Spark Gap Inputs:
2 = Number of Electrodes
0.25 [inch] = Electrode Diameter
0.1 [inch] = Total Gap Spacing

Static Spark Gap Outputs:
0.1 [inch] = Gap Spacing Between Each Electrode
24749 [peak volts] = Charging Voltage
7759 [peak volts] = Arc Voltage
39347 [volts] = Voltage Gradient at Electrode
77586 [volts/inch] = Arc Voltage per unit
31.3 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires
3.11 [ms] = Time To Arc Voltage
322 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
0.23 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
134948 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage
75 [power] = Energy Across Gap
32 [inch] = Static Gap Spark Length (using energy equation)