From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Rieben
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:18 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] **External Email** Re: ARSG bridge rectifier failures

Terry,

Actually, I have a single 400 VDC, 3900 uFd 'lytic run in parallel with the motor's input leads. Don't think it really "smooths" anything though, as the the motor's rotor, along with the G-10 disc and the flying tungsten electrodes provides plenty of inertial mass for 'filtering' the ripple.

Actually, I had been running my ARSG motor assembly trouble free for a good while, then I got a 'wild hair' and decided to change out my relatively small phenolic block FWB with one of those nicer looking metal cased units that were rated at an impressive 1 kV at 50 amps. (These units sure do seem fragile for such a monstrous rating, though)! Since grounding the outer case of the old smaller phenolic block exterior of the original FWB assembly wasn't an option, I never had that problem beforehand. However, once I installed the new metal block exterior FWB, it only seemed natural to ground the outer metal case (mains ground, NOT RF ground). The RSG motor still ran fine UNTIL the first moment I engaged the coil to produce sparks, then the FWB quickly failed as a short and actually caused my control variac to catch fire, seeing as I did not have this segment of the circuit adequately protected from over-current (only the main 100 amp throw breaker for the entire coil system)!! As soon as I replaced the FWB assmbly, SAME THING!

At this point I started scratching my head and finally figured that the only thing that I had done electrically different from my original setup was the grounding of the external metal casing of the new FWB unit. Once I removed the ground (and installed yet another new FWB unit), the problem was solved.
Fortunately, I ordered a bag of 10 of these FWB units. (I also placed better
20 amp overcurrent protection in the circuit to my motor, too). BTW, I run the supply line from the variac in my control panel to the coil's FWB rectifier and ARSG motor assembly via a metal clad (MC) 14/2 AWG cable, with the outer metal armour naturally grounded. My FWB assembly is mounted on small strip of copper as a heat sink and to a poly cutting board (and of course, I have left out grounding the outer metal casing of the FWB assembly).

As you and James were discussing, and since my motor as well as the FWB rectifier unit are mounted directly underneath my primary coil support assembly, there must be a ton of high RF voltage that is induced into the low voltage wiring and frying the sensitive silicon of the unit, and all that I can figure is that grounding the outer casing gives these induced voltages a short path to dissipate their energy. One has to wonder where these induced high voltages are dissipated without the ground, though? Well, I have on occasion noted sparking inside my control panel, too and have tried to add additional filtering of the low voltage mains inside the control panel cabinet to combat this :^o - may have answered my own question.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, David