[Home][2017 Index] [TCML] Tesla Current Draw [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Tesla Current Draw

Hi I'm hoping someone from the list can offer advice some advice and
suggestions.  I am replacing the 15/60 NST on my current static gap coil
with a de-potted NST with some shunts removed so that it puts out 15000v @
135mA.

Running different designs on Javascript Coil Designer, I'm finding that the
Effective Input Current (current draw?) runs over 18 rms amps. My wall
outlets in the garage are all 15 amp.  So if I'm understanding this
correctly, it looks like I would be constantly tripping the circuit breaker
when running the coil at full variac voltage.  I've run different cap sizes
through Java TC but cant seem to get around the 18 amp draw.

To get the current draw to just below 15 amps, I would have to dial the
variac down to 106 volts which would reduce the spark length
substantially.  I'm thinking that I am pretty much stuck with a systems
that is limited to 106 volt input.  Do you think this is the case?  I'm
hoping that I don't have to rewire my garage outlets for 20 amps just for
my coil.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis