[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Deadly MOTs (warning) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Deadly MOTs (warning)

While we are sharing our 'near death by electrons/magic' stories...

This one is comparatively low voltage but still resulted in serious
mid-term effects to me.

At age 9 I designed and built my first AC/DC power supply and after
confirming it worked I decided to cover the back of the PCB (pre-drilled
copper with cuttable tracks) with electrical tape to prevent accidental
electrocution.

Unfortunately I [accidentally] decided to do this while the power was still
connected, and figured it would be a good idea to press the tape down
firmly using thumbs across the low voltage transformer input (240AC/UK).

From what I can remember taking the entire 240 across my body was pretty
awful, but I was somehow able to pick myself up and stumble downstairs so
my Mother could take me to hospital.

It took a few weeks to fully recover the ability to control my hands and
have suffered from an occasional heart murmur since that time.

Even with low voltage please be careful!