[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Hockey Puck SCR as spark gap replacement [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Hockey Puck SCR as spark gap replacement

Interesting.

Spark gaps are simple until you go RSG, then looking at solid state
alternatives becomes appealing!

I think that if the speed issue can be dealt with there's some possible
advantages, namely being cheap and robust. You can get single devices in
the 2 - 5kV range that handle thousands of amps continuously for much less
than the equivalent IGBT capability. I can see them working well with a
parallel MOT supply.

I see there are some cheap ultrafast diodes with a 100A+ continuous rating
that might be up to the job of being used to limit the recovery time. Am I
right in my assumption that the these wouldn't need a particularly HV
rating because they should in theory be shielded by the SCR?