[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] My first ballast results [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] My first ballast results

I concur with Tyler. Old “buzzbox” stick welders are just about the best readymade, adjustable reactor ballast available for a pole pig current control. With their 240 volt input in series with the input to the  outer LV bushings of the pig, and the welding leads shorted, you can even use the welder’s current selector to give a a range of control over the current input to the pig. Even though they typically have a rather low duty cycle, it is still more than adequate for the average coiler. I got my used Lincoln 225 amp AC arc welder off Craigslist a few years ago for $100, although I have so far only used my welder for its actual intended purpose! 😉

David

Sent from my iPhone