[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Maxwell pulse capacitor [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Maxwell pulse capacitor

On 12/22/18 8:10 AM, Steve White wrote:
I have always wondered what those 1 PPS capacitors were originally used for. Laser fusion experiments, EMP generators, rail guns, Marx generators? Does anyone know?

You pretty much named the major uses for low rep-rate pulse caps in large sizes. HV electrical testing - high voltage and high current - we're all familiar with Marx stacks - but there's a high current equivalent. (and, in the case of Z machine sorts of things the two together...)

Those get used for things like testing HV distribution and transmission equipment, and also for large E-field testing setups like the ones used for verifying EMP immunity. Imagine a giant TEM cell parallel plate transmission line that you can put an airplane into.

Non-laser fusion as well. Plenty of pulsed electrical and magnetic fields.

If you're doing plasma research and you fire one shot a day in the lab, 5 days a week, a life of 1000 shots is 4 years.

In smaller sizes, excimer lasers, food sterilization, flash x-ray, etc.

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa