[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] GE Pulse Cap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] GE Pulse Cap

Hi Bob,

Yes, I seem to recall seeing that particular GE pulse cap on eBay before. It is probably the older style paper and oil dielectric system, hence its relatively large physical size for its voltage/capacitance rating. It would probably work fine for a mid-sized coil.

Actually, I’ve heard that the Maxwell 31393 capacitor, unlike most of its 31xxx series counterparts, actually has a several hundred pps rating instead of only 1 pps.
OTOH, I have had much success even using Maxwell pulse caps that are only rated at 1 pps, assuming that their voltage rating is sufficient. Remember, pulse capacitor shot lifespan goes up more than exponentially with any descent in their operational voltage from their rated voltage. So if you have a 75 or 100 kV rated pulse cap that you are only running at only 15 kV (about 22 kV peak), then your capacitor’s shot lifespan will likely be many, many times what it’s rated shot life is for its rated voltage.

David

Sent from my iPhone