[Home][2018 Index] [TCML] Pole transformer protection [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Pole transformer protection

I know this is an old question but I have searched the archives and have not found a definitive answer. Does my pole transformer need protection? Some say use a low-pass filter and some say you don't need it because pole transformers are so rugged. My pole transformer is a 14.4 KV unit with a 10 KVA power rating. My coil uses a SRSG spinning at 3600 RPM with 4 flying electrodes so that the tank circuit fires 4 times per 60 Hz cycle. My adjustable air gap inductive ballast is set to allow no more than 20 amps to the tesla coil. I am using 240 volts so my wall power is about 4.8 KVA. I get 7 - 8 foot sparks. I am satisfied with the performance and have run it for a total of about 2 hours. I currently have no protection or filtering of any kind between my pole transformer and the tesla coil other than a safety gap.

Do I need some sort of protection other than the safety gap for the pole transformer? Given how hard it is to obtain these nowadays, I do not want to accidentally destroy it.