From: "jhowson4" <jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 8:37:02 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Three phase to Ballast?

Thanks Dave.
Quite the opposite actually, I was hoping to get 18ish or so volts at the higher current out of it.  The windings are beautiful. Nice space wound 3 strands of hefty square magnet wire on the LV side. Can handle a bunch of current indefinitely. Or just use the inductance to ballast my pig. The core area is about right. Havnt bothered to throw an LCR on it yet.Anyway.
My uncertainty stems from the fact that the 3 phase cores have equal iron on all 3 legs, Such that if I only energized 1 coil the magnetic loops cross sectional area doubles and then halves again. Not sure if this would cause a negative effect making it an undesirable situation for a single coil single phase use.
I could always just cut out the middle leg... And use the two outer legs.
Someone on Facebook suggested putting all the secondaries and primaries in series with proper fields orientations. Maybe that works for lower power overall.
Regardless, Figured I'd ask the stupid questions before rigging up a test. The garage is coldish this time of year after all.
Cheers, Jay
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone
------ Original message------From: David Speck Date: Mon, Feb 12, 2018 8:52 PMTo: Tesla Coil Mailing List;Cc: Subject:Re: [TCML] Three phase to Ballast?
Jay,Aside from the three phase issue, I assume that you would be planning to feed 120 or 240 VAC into the 36 volt windings in an attempt to get a higher voltage (~2,300 VAC) out of the original 440 VAC terminals.I would not expect the transformer to last very long in this mode of operation, because the windings would not be insulated to handle such a high voltage.  Furthermore, 2,300 volts is not a particularly high voltage to run a TC with.  You can get nearly the same voltage out of an ordinary microwave oven transformer that was designed to handle such a voltage comfortably for extended periods.Two such MOTs connected together in series at their usually grounded cores would give you ~4,000 volts, but even that is rather low for TC use, unless you are going for a DC resonant charging system.DaveOn 2/12/2018 6:33 PM, jhowson4 wrote:> So, I have this huge 3 phase transformer that was slated to step down 480 to 36V at 600 or so amps.> My lack of 3 phase power has led me to wonder if I could use the transformer as a single phase input output via keeping/using only one set of the windings.> Has anyone used a 3 phase transformer as a single phase unit via isolating the unused coils and simply running just the middle leg?> Cheers, Jay_______________________________________________Tesla mailing listTesla@tedward.pupman.comhttps://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla