[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Looking for info on GE 30F series capacitors [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

See if this link works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hZD5X3NdLv1DzdAa7

> > They're large, rectangular, oil filled with dual ceramic bushings. I
> have a
> > bunch of these, and was hoping to use them to make a small can crusher or
> > exploding wire rig.
> >

> Since they're DC rated, they were probably intended for power supply
> filter duty, that being a much more common application than  pulse
> discharge use (although you never know).
>
> it's also possible that some research project contracted with GE to
> build them a batch of capacitors for, e.g., a rail gun, and GE assigned
> them a part number and built them.
>
> But I'd be thinking about big radar/radio transmitter/high power RF
> applications. Lots of tubes run at anode voltages of multiple kilovolts,
> and there's countless industrial applications.
>
> The voltage seems a bit high for a DC link in an inverter, but I don't
> know for sure, that's another application area.

My first guess was DC filter duty as well. Likely out of some big piece of
RF kit like you said. These were hamfest finds from years back.

Even if they're not going to be safe or last long under pulse discharge
duty, I have another project on the backburner that they might be useful
for.

--
andy