[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] **External Email** Re: Ken Strickfaden's "Multistributor" [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] **External Email** Re: Ken Strickfaden's "Multistributor"

On 7/11/18 8:30 AM, Terry Oxandale wrote:
Was this designed this way to provide a rotating spark (spark visualized as rotating about the circumference spark gap circle)?

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tim Flood
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:47 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: **External Email** Re: [TCML] Ken Strickfaden's "Multistributor"

Thanks also for all the responses.

I have read the Popular Mechanic's article. In addition, there is a very good front view photo of the rotary switch in Harry Goldman's book, " Dr.
Frankenstein's Electrician", on page #114.

What puzzles me is the large outer ring is metal with seven 2 1/2" long electrodes protruding radially from the inside of this ring. The five flying electrodes appear to be small diameter metal rods braced by a 12"
dia. metal ring. How does switching occur with this arrangement? I am probably missing the obvious.

could the bracing ring be insulated? or have gaps. Then you'd have 5 electrodes against 7 other electrodes, which would give you a lot of sparks per rev (35?) since there's no common factor of 5 and 7.

It might also produce a visually interesting position of the spark (it would probably appear to rotate around the circle, at a rate higher than the rotation rate of the inner wheel).

I'm a bit lazy, but I think you could write a short program in matlab or python to work out which gap fires when. (or even in excel).

This could be a case where: there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Either way, I would really like to build this rotary switch. I do not intend to use it for a TC, just a stand-alone device.

Thank you and feel free to email me off list.

Tim

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Matthew Sweeney <msweeney23@xxxxxxxxx>